Saturday 1 February 2014

Of Joints and Resins: Ball-Jointed Dolls in a Nutshell


Iplehouse's Limited Edition Aurora
A ball-jointed doll, or BJD, is any doll with ball and socket joints. In modern usage, however, especially when using acronyms BJD or ABJD (Asian ball-jointed doll), ball-jointed dolls predominantly refer to resin, Asian ball-jointed dolls, and this blog post will be featuring them exclusively. 

Asian ball-jointed dolls are cast from polyurethane synthetic resin, with parts strung together by thick elastic. They are highly poseable, and range in size from as small as 10 centimeters with the biggest dolls being around 60 centimeters in height. Meanwhile, as greatly varied they are in size, is also their diversity in terms of visual aesthetics; some dolls are realistic, and can be mistaken for real people, while others are high-fantasy with anthropomorphic parts, and some are just plainly designed to follow the anime fashion. Nevertheless, all are attractive in their own unique ways.

DreamofDoll's Code No. 11
Japan, China and Korea are the top manufacturers of BJDs, with producers not limited on large, international companies, but also single-person hobbyists. While hobbyist producers are often gone unrecognized, the opposite can be said towards the other sector. Presently, among of the renowned names in the field of BJD production are Volks, U-Noa, Luts, Custom House, Doll in Mind, Dollshe, Dream of Doll, Elfdoll, Dollzone, Soom, and Iplehouse.


Despite being highly priced, with the most expensive raging up to a thousand US dollars for a complete set, BJDs are highly coveted by hardcore and casual doll collector and lovers around the globe. Oftentimes, buyers order from the manufacturer's site directly and have them shipped to their side of the planet. Also, there are also middlemen in this business. By serving as a relay point between the customers and the warehouse, they can cut delivery costs and ultimately the cash needed by a person to get herself a doll. However, for the sake of security, most would opt to use the former method, as it is safer despite being less friendly on the wallet. And given the chance, I, personally, would be doing the same.

Dew by Luts
__Celly says____
Honestly? I hated making this post. Really! I mean, look at them things! They're bloody tantalizing I'd love to slap my monitor on my head. 'Nuff said.

Alright, violence aside, ball-jointed dolls are among of the very few girl stuffs which I, a partly-male soul trapped in a female's body, drool over. That, or my artistic nature is talking. Either way, I know how much I've restrained myself from squirming in envy as I was making this page, and how much allured I feel as I was hunting for pictures to add in this blog. Although, admittedly, some dolls did freak me out, nevertheless, I still love these resin things, despite the overwhelming complexity of feelings I have towards them. I mean, who can say no to that ridiculously good-looking lady on the top or those insanely hawt fellows over there? At least, who could without the aid of financial restraints? >:B

And now, to draw more drools, some more pictures.

From left to right: Dollzone's Raymond, Iplehouse's Tedros, and Soom's yet to be named
From left to right: Dollshe's Ausley Love, Fairyland's Chloe, and Elfdoll's Vivien
All images belong to their respective owners. No copyright infringement intended. 



1 comment:

  1. So Barbie is a BJD, cool, I learned something today :)

    ReplyDelete